As different values, notions and beliefs are shaping the way members of cultures communicate, cross cultural conflict call for special attention when representatives of different cultures cooperate.
We will cover different kinds of conflicts occurring in professional and academic/training situations involving individuals from different nations. A major focus (yet, not the only topic) will be conflicts resulting from cultural differences between individuals.
1. Conflicts: Definition and characteristics (including risks and potential benefits)
2. Conflicts by persons involved, by origin, by degree of escalation
3. Different attitudes/approaches towards dealing with conflicts
4. Culture specific conflicts
5. A framework for analyzing and dealing with conflicts
6. Different types of culture specific conflict:
6.1 Conflicts resulting from different perceptions of (oral) behaviour
6.2 Conflicts resulting from different values
6.3 Conflicts resulting from different underlying assumptions
7. Ways of dealing with conflicts in a productive manner/moderating conflicts